Are Electric Log Splitters Any GoodAre electric log splitters any good? Yes, electric log splitters are good. They’re low maintenance thanks to the electric powered engine and they’re still able to provide thousands of tons of force. They can be used indoors as they don’t produce gas and you don’t feel exhausted after a full day of splitting.
Advantages of electric splitters
Opting for an electric log splitter is an excellent choice, thanks to all the benefits that come with it. In addition to doing a significant part of the work for you, you can also use this machine easily in your barn or basement as it is not only limited to the outdoors.
Using this kind of device, you would not have to expend a lot of energy and time as the electric splitter is the one doing most of the work. You wouldn’t feel exhausted at the end of your splitting session. It is also easy to store and portable.
The electric log splitter is a low-maintenance device. This is a very important benefit of the equipment as you would not be required to spend a lot of time on maintenance at all.
You don’t need to worry about servicing the engine or changing the oil. If you’re like most people, you want to be as environmentally friendly as you can get.
Due to the fact that it is a low-maintenance device, it doesn’t build up carbon monoxide to unhealthy levels that it begins to affect the user.
Also, the electric splitter is very quiet when compared to its gas counterpart when in use. This makes the ideal machine to use in any area, even in a suburban environment.
Disadvantages of electric splitters
It is a well-known fact that anything that has advantages, would surely have disadvantages, though the downsides to owning an electric splitter are few. You might be wondering how equipment with so many good things going for it actually has disadvantages.
Well, when compared to their gas counterparts, the electric log splitters don’t have as much power even if they are more efficient. This is why it is challenging to use electric splitters to take on larger logs of wood. If that’s the case, you might see yourself utilizing an ax for cutting wood.
Also, keep in mind that you would need to have an extension cord in hand or be near an electric outlet if you want to use an electric splitter. This is mostly an inconveniencing feature.
Electric log splitters are designed to cut softwoods like spruce and pine. It is advisable that you don’t use the electric splitter to take on hardwoods like Maple and Oak as it could cause damage to the machine.
What should I look for in an electric splitter?
- It should have quick cycles: Opting for an electric splitter that has quicker cycles would see that you achieve greater productivity in less time. You should opt for a splitter that has a cycle time of around 15 seconds. Studies have shown that the faster the cycle time, the more logs you can split.
- It should have control levers: For added safety, you should opt for a log splitter that has shielded control levers. While in use, it is advised that you don’t place your hands close to the splitting area. This feature ensures that the levers are shielded to avoid any dangerous accident.
- It should be durable: An electric splitter is like a long-term investment. With that being said, I would advise that you opt for one with durable all-steel construction to ensure reliable use for years to come. You have to ensure that you get something that would last you for a very long time as buying this machine is not an everyday task.
- It should have a powerful motor: when it comes to log splitting, you are going to be dealing with various tough as well as wet wood. So, your electric splitter needs to be powerful enough to handle all these various kinds of woods. Based on your requirements, you would need to get an electric splitter that is powerful enough to handle the kind of logs you are splitting. Factors that you should consider include force, amps, and horsepower.
- It should be able to handle larger lengths and diameters. The larger the wood diameter and size your electric splitter can handle, the more work you can get done at once. It is recommended that you opt for a splitter that can handle logs with a diameter of 12 inches and a length of 20 inches.
What’s the best electric log splitter for beginners?
It is a well-known fact that you need sturdy and precise equipment when it comes to wood splitting. The WEN 56207 is an electric splitter that fits well into this description. The brand reputation and assurance of optimal performance of the WEN brand are evident in this electric splitter. It is sturdy, sharp, and easy to operate.
Features of the WEN 56207
- Efficient: With this log splitter, you save a lot of energy and time between logs as the auto-return cylinder retracts automatically once the split has been completed.
- Accurate: Even when you are taking on the toughest of woods, the WEN splitter doesn’t lose its accuracy and sharpness thanks to its 5-inch wedge that measures in at 45 degrees.
- Portable: You can easily move and store this equipment between jobs because of its onboard hand in addition to a 5.5-inch never-flat wheel.
- Ease of use: Unlike their gas counterparts, you do not need to worry about maintenance. Every time you need to use this electric splitter, you can rest assured that you will get reliable start-ups. No clogged carburetors, no gas, no problems.
- Powerful: The robust 15-amp motor provides 13,000 pounds of power to crack logs. In addition to that, it also has a 20-second cycle time and it can handle over 120 logs per hour.
- Spacious: It can handle logs of up to 10 inches in diameter and 20.5 inches in length with side-mounted support wings, which help avoid the rolling away of your log during operation.
- Versatile: You have two options to choose from with the WEN 56207. You can choose to keep your unit close to the ground or you can utilize the included 34-inch stand mount and save your lower back.